The Mid Atlantic Roofing Systems team are experts in wind and hail damage. They have a strong knowledge and over 100 years of combined roofing experience. Mid Atlantic Roofing Systems is no stranger to accurately assessing roof, gutter and window damages resulting from storms and helping homeowners like you make smart, safe and responsible decisions in what is said to be your most valuable investment.
The next time there is a storm in your area, here’s what you can do:
Assess the Damage
Debris or damages from a storm have probably already caught your attention for obvious reasons like a tree has fallen through your roof, hail has cracked or broken glass or wind has blown some shingles off your roof. But most often we don’t notice the damages that come from storms, wind and hail. It helps to know what to look for:
- missing foliage from trees, shrubs and plants
- missing granules from your shingles or missing entire shingles
- musty smell inside your home, puddling or discoloration in your ceiling or walls
Protect Your Property
Just because the storm is over doesn’t mean that the extent of the damage is done. It may take some time to make the necessary repairs to your home and property so taking steps to protect it from further damage is imperative. You can protect your property by covering holes in your roof and windows to prevent water from coming through. Above all, do not get on your roof! Not only is it dangerous to get on an unstable and damaged roof, more damage can be caused each time someone gets on it. It’s best to leave the roof-walking up to the professionals.
Find a Professional
This step is of upmost importance. You need to have the necessary repairs made to your home quickly, safely and professionally but it can be difficult to find a reliable repair company. Here are some notes to consider when selecting a repair company:
- Go with who you know and beware of out-of-towners. Using someone local that you can easily verify and perhaps can come recommended by your trusted neighbors is best.
- Check to make sure that your roofing company is bonded and insured. If in doubt, ask for proof! A reputable company will have no issue with showing you its credentials.
- Read reviews. Read about a company’s standing and its customer satisfaction experience by visiting websites such as Angie’s List or the Better Business Bureau. Don’t forget to do your part in letting your neighbors know who to trust and choose when they need help by leaving your positive review after repairs are complete and you are satisfied.
File Your Claim
You pay for a lot for your homeowner’s insurance policy so now is the time for the insurance company to return the favor. Don’t be afraid to call your insurance company; “Act of God” claims will not increase your insurance premiums! Though you can file the claim and do the repair work yourself but it’s risky and not recommended. Many professional repair companies are experienced in working with your insurance company to make sure that the claim is filed properly and the work is satisfactory, from start to finish.
You want to make sure that your home and family are protected by the best for all future storms. Carefully consider your options. Talk with your roofing contractor about the materials that they use and the pros and cons to each so that you can make an informed decision.